XBoomGarden.Com.With commercially produced foods being genetically modified by the likes of Monsanto and all the crazy things being added to food, it is no surprise that more and more people are seriously thinking about growing their own food. But to a lot of people, space can be a big problem, especially when living in an apartment. In this post, we are sharing 50 things you can grow in containers.
- 1 Let’s start with the really common ones that you already know for sure…
- 2 Leafy greens…
- 3 Herbs (you can grow most herbs in containers indoors)…
- 4 Fruit trees (there are lots of tips online for growing fruit trees in containers)…
- 5 Citrus fruits (ideal for beginner gardeners as these are easy to grow)…
- 6 Even tropical fruits…
- 7 Others…
Growing in containers offers the benefit of being able to produce your own food even in a limited or cramped space. There are many fruits and vegetable varieties that can thrive in a small growing environment. Here’s a list of 50 things you can grow in containers.
Let’s start with the really common ones that you already know for sure…
2. Hot/sweet peppers
4. Squash i.e. summer squash, pumpkin
9. Mustard greens
10. Swiss chard
Herbs (you can grow most herbs in containers indoors)…
21. Herbal tea
Fruit trees (there are lots of tips online for growing fruit trees in containers)…
Citrus fruits (ideal for beginner gardeners as these are easy to grow)…
31. Dwarf oranges
Even tropical fruits…
34. Some varieties of guavas
38. Melons (i.e. cantaloupe – small variety; Golden Midget Watermelon)
42. Pole Beans
46. Jerusalem Artichoke
48. Sugar snap peas
50. Asparagus (Yes, it can grow in a container!)
Growing your own food frees you from consuming unhealthy foods produced with GMOs, pesticides and preserved using industrial products. By having a garden, you also cut down on the amount of money you spend on commercially produced food. With a garden, all you have to do is reach out and pluck what you need when you need it. That also eliminates the need to travel just to buy your vegetables or fruits.
I hope this list gives you an idea of what to start growing in what available space you have.