If you compost, you likely throw banana peels in the pile or compost bin, along with other compostable refuse. However, aside from composting them, banana peels can be reused in other ways. The following are 15 different uses for banana peel that you can try…
In the Garden
1. Aphid control – aphids hate banana peels. If you bury some around plants that aphids love, i.e. roses and cauliflower, you will keep them away.
2. Feed your roses – banana peels make excellent rose food. They are rich in calcium and magnesium and other trace minerals that your flowers will benefit from. Here’s a great post on how to feed roses with banana peels.
3. Fertilizer or mulch – banana peels are rich in potassium which happens to be an important nutrient for your garden as well. To use the peels as mulch:
– dry out the banana skins on screens
– grind up the dried peels in a food processor or blender
– use the ground peels as mulch to give new plants and seedlings a healthy start
You can also wrap banana peels around your tomato starts when you plant them in the garden come spring. The tomatoes will benefit from the nutrients the peels impart as they grow throughout the summer.
Inside the Home
4. Polish silverware – put the shine back into your silver by rubbing the inside of the peel on the surface. Buff it up with a paper towel or soft cloth. You can also do the same to polish leather shoes or even furniture.
5. Meat tenderizer – adding a banana peel to your roast will add just enough moisture to ensure your roast doesn’t get too dry.
6. Brighten up houseplants – if your houseplants are looking a bit dull lately, liven them up by wiping down each leaf with the inside of a banana peel. This will remove the dirt on the surface and replace it with a lustrous shine.
7. Teeth whitener – banana peel has manganese, magnesium and potassium so rubbing the inside of the peel on your teeth will help whiten the enamel.
8. Cure your wart – a banana peel can remove wart in just 1-2 weeks
9. Soothe itch – bug bites and poison ivy rash can be relieved by rubbing the inside of a banana peel over the affected area.
10. Remove splinter – removing splinters out of your skin can be an excruciatingly difficult task which can be eased by placing a banana peel on it – keep the peel on with athletic tape – for a while and then trying to ease the splinter out later.
11. Fade bruises – banana peels when rubbed on a bruise can help make it disappear.
12. Acne – acne can be cured by rubbing the inside of a banana peel on your face or other affected area.
13. Cure psoriasis – rub the inside of a banana peel on affected area twice a day to treat the dry, scaly skin.
14. Cure hemorrhoid – banana peels help cure hemorrhoids as well.
15. Anti-depressant – did you know that researchers have found that drinking boiled banana peel water can ease depression? Well, now you know so, boil yourself some banana peels when you’re feeling down.